As an international student, you have the option to incorporate a co-op, internship, or XN Project into your program. We recommended that you begin planning at the start of your degree to ensure it can be integrated into your course of study and that you can take advantage of as many opportunities as possible within your time at Northeastern.
Before you can participate in a co-op, internship, or XN project you must:
- Enroll in COP 5001 Preparing for Experiential Learning
- Be sure you meet the requirements in order to qualify
- Check out the CPS database, NEXUS, for some internship and co-op opportunities
- Obtain approval from your Experiential Learning Advisor (ELA) once you have a job offer letter in hand
- Apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization with your ELA; which requires you to complete the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Authorization Request Form (along with the accompanying documents listed on the form) from the Office of Global Services (OGS)
- Please note: CPT is NOT required for XN Projects, but you must apply and meet eligibility requirements in order to be matched with an employer sponsor
What is CPT?
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is defined as alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.
Once you are granted CPT authorization, you receive:
- Location and date-specific CPT authorization
- The opportunity to participate in a co-op or internship
Please note that you need CPT authorization for all unpaid and paid positions. If you have already completed your degree requirements, you cannot receive CPT authorization.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- Start dates occur at the beginning of each of the four graduate terms (January, April, July, and September) or undergraduate semesters (September and January).
- Authorization for summer co-ops and internships can be done at the end of May if the dates of the position are June – August
- All students are required to participate in a 3- or 4-credit course, COP 6940 (G) or COP 3940 (UG) / Personal and Career Development for the first 12 weeks or a co-op or internship
- The co-op department must be notified 2-3 weeks before the intended start, to allow time for processing and authorization
- Students who plan to extend their internship or co-op past 3 months must notify the office 2-3 weeks before the end of their CPT authorization so that a renewal can be processed
- Co-ops and internships must run for a minimum of 12 weeks to earn credit
- XN Projects are around 6 weeks in length; students will be enrolled in the 0 credit COP 5003 reflection course along with their project. 3- or 4-q.h. credit-bearing course is offered for certain majors, and satisfies an elective in those degree programs. Ask your ELA for more information.
Students who receive a paid position and do not have a social security number (SSN) must apply for a SSN once they have received CPT authorization.
The OGS website will provide you with additional important information on procedures and forms to ensure legal authorization.
Office of Global Services
405 Ell Hall
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115