As an international student, you have the option to incorporate a co-op or internship into your program. We recommended that you begin planning at the start of your degree to ensure it can be integrated into your course of study.
Before you can participate in a co-op or internship, you must:
- Obtain approval from the College of Professional Studies' Department of Cooperative Education
- Apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization, which requires you to complete the ISSI Form 165 (along with the accompanying documents listed on the form) from the International Student and Scholar Institute (ISSI)
What is CPT?
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is defined as alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.
Once you are granted CPT authorization, you receive:
- Location and date specific CPT authorization
- The opportunity to participate in a co-op or internship
Please note that you need CPT authorization for all unpaid and paid positions. If you have already completed your degree requirements, you cannot receive CPT authorization. Your program completion date can only be postponed if you are completing the co-op or internship as an elective required for your degree.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- Start dates occur at the beginning of each of the four terms: January, April, July, & September
- Authorization for summer co-ops and internships can be done at the end of May if the dates of the position are June – August
- All students are required to participate in a 3 credit course, COP 6940 or COP 3940/Personal and Career Development for the first 12 weeks
- The co-op department must be notified 2-3 weeks before the intended start, to allow time for processing and authorization
- Students who plan to extend their internship or co-op past 3 months must notify the office 2-3 weeks before the end of their CPT authorization so that a renewal can be processed
- Co-ops and internships must run for a minimum of 12 weeks to earn credit
Students who receive a paid position and do not have a social security number (SSN) must apply for a SSN once they have received CPT Authorization.
The ISSI website will provide you with additional important information on procedures and forms to ensure legal authorization.
International Student and Scholar Institute
405 Ell Hall
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115