How to Use Your GI Bill Benefits at Northeastern
Did you know?
If your tuition exceeds your GI Bill benefits, you can apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program.
You're eligible for GI Bill benefits. Now what? Where do you start?
Here's everything you need to know to use your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits at Northeastern in ten easy steps.
1. Contact the Veterans Affairs Regional Office
2. Get Certificate of Eligibility
Request a certificate of eligibility (COE) from the Veterans Affairs office.
3. Get Certificate of Eligibility to Northeastern
Forward a copy of your COE to Northeastern University's Veterans Affairs school-verifying official.
We can accept these via fax, e-mail, regular mail, or in person at:
360 Huntington Ave, 354 RI
Boston, MA 02115
Attn: Andy McCarty
Enroll full-time in classes at the College of Professional Studies.
- For graduate students full-time is 8 quarter hours
- For undergraduate students, full-time is 12 quarter hours
- To be eligible for our housing benefit, half of your coursework must be on ground throughout the entire term.
6. Northeastern Verifies Your Enrollment
The school certifying official (SCO) will verify your enrollment based on your course registration.
7. Northeastern Submits Your Information
The SCO will submit your enrollment data to the VA.
8. Receive E-mail Confirmation
You should receive an automatic notification through your Husky email address each time a certificate is submitted on your behalf.
9. Use Check to Pay Tuition
- The VA will mail you a check for the eligible amount of your benefit
- Northeastern bills your student account for your tuition
- You pay your tuition
Repeat steps 4-9 for each term.
Post 9/11 GI Bill Eligibility for Active Duty Veterans
|Member Serves||Percentage of Maximum Benefit Payable|
|At least 36 months||100%|
|At least 30 continuous days on active duty and must be discharged due to service-connected disability||100%|
|At least 30 months, but less than 36 months||90%|
|At least 24 months, but less than 30 months||80%|
|At least 18 months, but less than 24 months||70%|
|At least 12 months, but less than 18 months||60%|
|At least 6 months, but less than 12 months||50%|
|At least 90 days, but less than 6 months||40%|
Still have questions? Contact the Veterans Department at Student Financial Services.
|Yellow Ribbon Program|
|7 Reasons Northeastern is a Great Fit for Veterans|