Why Nonprofit Management?
This graduate certificate provides a comprehensive overview of nonprofit management through an in-depth study of both theory and practice, preparing students to excel in the nonprofit sector.
Nonprofits today simply require a higher level of management expertise, and nonprofit managers are required to manage people and programs more efficiently and effectively. The online Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Management focuses on developing a range of skills in organizational management, financial management, fundraising, grant and report writing, human resources management, and governance. The program integrates theoretical approaches with practical applications.
Working and collaborating via the internet, students participate in case studies, individual and group projects, and class discussions. The program is designed for individuals who already work in the nonprofit sector as executive directors, managers, program staff, board members, or volunteers. The online format makes it easier for these working professionals to balance coursework with their other commitments, and offers a level of interaction that more than equals the educational experience delivered in a traditional classroom.
- Online program design allows for flexibility and balance for working professionals
- Courses from this certificate can be applied to Northeastern's MS in Leadership and MS in Nonprofit Management
- Designed to help students develop and enhance practical and relevant management skills such as grant and report writing
- Program designed for an interactive online student experience through group projects and discussions
Hiring in nonprofit organizations is on the upswing. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the nonprofit sector ranks third in the U.S. in overall employment, with more than 12.3m employees.
The fastest-growing jobs are in:
- Direct services
- Program management
- Program support
A sample of where our recent graduates are working:
- Boston Children’s Museum
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Horizons for Homeless Children
- Oxfam America
- Marymount Manhattan College Prison Program
What you'll study
This program requires successful completion of a minimum of 18 credit hours that meet the degree requirements.