We accept transfer credit from several sources. Determine which types of transfer credit apply to you and learn how to start the transfer credit process.
- Northeastern University: previously earned credit from Northeastern University.
- Accredited Institutions: previously earned credit from regionally and programmatically accredited institutions.
- College Level Proficiency Examinations: exam scores treated as transfer credit. Scores do not affect a student's grade point average and there is no fee for transferring College Level Proficiency Examination credits.
- Assessment of Prior Learning (APL): a formal APL portfolio review of a student's work and life experience for conversion into academic credit.
- Military: as an active duty military or veteran, you can enroll in any of our degree programs or certificate programs. As a member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC), we are committed to serving you and will work to accept any previous credits you’ve earned.
We encourage you to take advantage of our generous transfer policies. Review our transfer credit policies below as you consider starting the transfer credit process.
- The minimum course grade acceptable for transfer credit is C, or 2.000 on a 4.000 scale
- Credits earned in science and technology are valid for a period of 7 years (credit earned more than 7 years ago will be applied as open electives)
- We reserve the right to revise transfer credit for reasons deemed necessary by the College (such as course duplication or change in student's program of study)
- There is a 50% residency requirement at the College for all degree programs*
- Certificate programs allow up to 6 semester hours of transfer credit
- Credit earned from any college within Northeastern University other than the College of Professional Studies are granted under the following guidelines:
- Minimum grade of a C- or 1.7777 on a 4.000 scale
- Complete a residency of 24 semester hours for bachelor's degree candidates
- Transfer credit does not affect a student's grade point average
- There is no additional cost from the College associated with receiving a transfer credit award
- Assessment of Prior Learning (APL)
Students may be eligible for APL credit if they have accrued a foundation of knowledge and skills equivalent to the content of courses in the following areas:
- Liberal arts (ANT, ART, CMN, ECH, ENG, HST, MUS, PHL, POL, PSY, SOC, and TCC)
- Health professions and sciences (BIO, BTC, CHM, HMG, and HSC)
- Information technology (ITC)
Interested students should contact their academic advisor for more information.
*Active-duty Military Personnel: Active-duty service members are required to complete 25% of their program at the College of Professional Studies.
Northeastern University's College of Professional Studies (CPS) is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). It is up to the individual institution to determine whether credit from CPS will be accepted in fulfillment of specific program and/or degree requirements. Students should inquire with the specific institution to determine whether particular credits will be accepted as transfer credit.