Experiential Learning Options at the College of Professional Studies
- Experiential Network Project (XN) Short-term, virtual projects that are done with a sponsoring organization and can be completed virtually. They do not extend your time to complete your degree.
- Internships and Co-ops Can be completed during bachelor's and master's degree programs as on-ground work experiences and potentially can be paid. They may go for 3 or 6 months, and will most likely extend the time it will take to complete your degree.
- Experiential Learning at Work Available to graduate students working with their current employer or a volunteer organization. Students and the organization can custom design a project aligned with the student's educational interests and career goals.
First Steps If You Are Thinking About Participating in Experiential Learning
- Attend a monthly experiential learning information session, offered on the third Tuesday of each month.
- Meet with your career and academic coach to plan where experiential learning fits in your academic plan and to set your timeline. Make sure you have answers to the following questions:
- When is the first term I can participate in Experiential Network?
- What is the deadline for application?
- What is my ideal start date?
- What is my deadline for an offer letter?
- What is my latest date for applying for offer letters?
Tips for Preparing to Apply for Experiential Learning
We strongly recommend that you enroll in COP5001. This is an optional, zero-credit course that provides an overview of the professional competencies critical for success in applying for and participating in experiential learning. Remember, being selected for a co-op, internship, or project is not a guarantee. Employers review your materials and select the students they want to work with.
You will be more likely to be successful if you:
- Articulate your career goal
- Communicate your key skills and strengths
- Prepare a professional resumé and LinkedIn profile
- Create a plan for and project manage a job search
- Network effectively within that job search
Come to a monthly Experiential Learning Info Session and Workshop for more information on preparing for and participating in Experiential Learning.