2016-Present Behavior Professional, Integrity Living Options
Provide clinical oversight to Behavior Support Services and ensure effective and appropriate outcome based services for children, adolescents, and adults with intellectual disabilities. In addition, conduct Functional Assessments for all new referrals, provide behavioral trainings to behavior support staff and multidisciplinary teams.
2016-1017 Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental Disabilities Fellow
Designed and implemented telehealth intervention sessions for preschool-adolescent children with a variety of neurodevelopmental disabilities. Grant #2-T73MC12835-03-00 from the Maternal & Child Health Bureau (MCHB) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services awarded to the University of Minnesota.
2014-2015 Graduate Research Assistant, University of Minnesota Institute on Community Integration
Created trainings for direct service providers and administrators in group homes for adults with developmental disabilities and challenging behaviors.
Created a website for direct service providers on topics related to challenging behaviors, positive behavior supports, and developmental disabilities across the lifespan and across settings.
2013-present Lecturer, University of Minnesota
·EPsy 5613 Foundations of Special Education
·EPsy 5616 Classroom Management and Behavior Analytic Problem Solving
·EPsy 5657 Interventions for Behavior Problems in School Settings
2012-2013 Graduate Research Assistant, University of Minnesota
Developed new courses and course sequences for an autism teacher licensure program
2011-2013 Graduate Research Assistant, University of Minnesota
Planned, coordinated, and collected data from charter schools in Minneapolis as part of a CDC, NIH, and Autism Speaks supported grant that investigated the prevalence of ASD in Somali children versus non-Somali children. (Co-PIs : Amy Hewitt, Ph.D, Joe Reichle, Ph.D. & Michael Reiff, M.D.)
2011-2012 Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental Disabilities Fellow(LEND), University of Minnesota
Participated in a year-long interdisciplinary fellowship program that provided advanced training in leadership skills and research related to neurodevelopmental disabilities.
Grant #2-T73MC12835-03-00 from the Maternal & Child Health Bureau (MCHB) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services awarded to the University of Minnesota.
2009-present Lecturer, Northeastern University, Boston, MA
Served as both a full time and adjunct lecturer in the College of Professional Studies.
·EDU 6520 Learning and the Brain: Translating Research into Practice*
·EDU 6472 Advanced Special Education Strategies*
·EDU 6522 Capstone Course for Learning and Instruction*
·EDU 6558 Introduction to Educational Statistics*
·EDU 6425 Special Education and Inclusive Schools
·EDU 6528 Adaptive Learning and Behavior Management Strategies: Consultation and Collaboration
·EDU 6874 Special Education Practicum, Portfolio, and Panel Review
·EDU 6429 Child and Adolescent Development
2011 Consultant, Cross and Joftus Consulting Firm
Served as a consultant on a project with Los Angeles Unified School District to analyze professional development needs for charter schools. Included in the project was the creation of a training manual for K-12 administrations for best practices related to writing IEPs.
2008-2009 Director of Special Education, Aspire Public Schools, California
Led the special education program for 21 charter schools throughout California, Responsibilities included:
- Hired and supervised staff.
- Planned and presented professional development sessions related to best practices for general education and special education teachers as well as administrators.
- Developed and monitored budget
- Implemented and monitored state and federal compliance initiatives.
- Program development which included, and coordinating and collaborating with local districts, counties, and other charter schools to ensure appropriate service delivery for all students.
2006-2007 Director of Special Education, Achievement First Charter Management Organization, New York
- Coordinated all special education services for five charter schools.
- Provided professional development for special education and general education teachers and related service provides.
- Provided direct support services to students with disabilities, grades K-5 in inclusion settings.
2002-2006 Teach For America
Participated in a national service corps of outstanding recent college graduates who commit to teach in urban and rural public schools and become life-long leaders in pursuit of expanding educational opportunity. Responsibilities included:
- Designing and implemented instructional programs directed at special needs students with a range of disabilities
- Served as a corps member advisor for new teachers who were completing their summer training
- Served as special education learning team leader where I provided support and professional development to fellow TFA special education teachers in the LA area
- Served as a writer for a special education training manual used for all new corps members.